Disclaimer

This blog is an on-going work in progress, just like its creator. The names have been changed to protect the innocent, and the not-so-innocent. The events portrayed are as true and accurate as my perspective and memory allows, and are subject to change without further notice in the future. You will not find any Pay Per Post on my blog... No advertising. No peddling of anything other than my personal thoughts, opinions, and experiences... If you are reading my words it is because you are choosing to share a birds-eye view into my playground, not because I am pounding down your door asking to come in out the elements uninvited. With all of that out of the way, I really am glad you are here…

Monday, March 31, 2008

Here come the caolries...


I have a ton of food blogs that I keep in my reader. Last night, The Boyfriend and I were drooling over countless photos and recipes... (That is, until I realized that we were both really hungry and we stopped to have some dinner...)

Here are two that looked good for the upcoming Passover holiday... (And one is sure to be a favorite as it has coconut and no gluten... Too bad it is not sugar free too...)


Coconut Macaroons

6 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups shredded coconut

1. In a mixing bowl whisk egg whites and salt until stiff
2. Fold in agave, vanilla and coconut
3. Drop batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, one rounded tablespoonful at a time
4. Pinch each macaroon at the top (like a kiss)
5. Bake at 350 degrees* for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned
6. Serve

(This recipe came from a gluten free food blog... Elana's Pantry Check it out if you are looking for more of the gluten free treats and tricks... And I love her pantry... Beautiful.)

The next recipe is great. The blog that I pulled it from has great "how to" step by step photos. Talk about looking easy and kids would make a quick and sticky mess of it... But it did make me think that matzoh might not be a bland as I usually do... Take a look... Try it out... Mail me some... Because if I have to make a batch, I'll make the whole box... Zoe Bakes


Chocolate Caramel Matzoh for Passover (or any other time!)

4-6 unsalted matzohs
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or Passover margarine
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips (Marcy calls for 1/4 cup but I need more!)
Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a sauce pot cook the butter and sugar over medium high heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly. The caramel may melt and be transparent or it may look more crystallized looking as in this batch. It doesn’t seem to matter once you bake it. Spread it evenly over the matzohs.

Bake for about 15 minutes. Check half way through to make sure it is not browning too quickly. Rotate pan.

Remove from oven and add the chocolate. Let the chocolate sit for 5 minutes and then spread evenly over the matzohs. Allow to cool to room temperature. If your kitchen is too warm for the chocolate to set on its own then place in the refrigerator until set.

Break into strips or bite sized pieces.

1 comment:

Elana said...

Hi, thanks for reviewing my recipe on your blog. If you are looking for a GF coconut macaroon recipe that is also sugar-free, take a look at glutenfreebay

Splenda is not really my thing, though can be quite important for people that are counting carbs.