Disclaimer

This blog is an on-going work in progress, just like its creator. The names have been changed to protect the innocent, and the not-so-innocent. The events portrayed are as true and accurate as my perspective and memory allows, and are subject to change without further notice in the future. You will not find any Pay Per Post on my blog... No advertising. No peddling of anything other than my personal thoughts, opinions, and experiences... If you are reading my words it is because you are choosing to share a birds-eye view into my playground, not because I am pounding down your door asking to come in out the elements uninvited. With all of that out of the way, I really am glad you are here…

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Day Two of Hawaii...


I woke up to the sound of a rooster crowing. It was dark. It was very early. There was no sign of daybreak anywhere. But the rooster thought there was, so he notified all within earshot that dawn was upon us every few minutes, like an alarm with a snooze button that you can't toss across the room to finally get it to stop. So I dozed until the sky lightened, jolting wake at every crow of the cock. (And in this context, I can say it that way and get away with it. No matter how you read that sentence, you will get my accurate meaning.) That's when the other island birds joined in the morning's chorus. Twitters and chirps and squeaks and squawks... Bird song in earnest. And the bugs joined in, humming and clicking and tapping the rhythm of the day. A few dogs, mostly little ones in the distance, participated. I swear I heard a monkey call out, but I don't think that's possible. There were several sounds that I could not identify... Perhaps they were the flowers? The breeze picked up and the trees, bushes and tall grass joined in with rattles, whispers and jingles...

You would think I would be annoyed at this point, and for the rooster part I was. The rest of it though, was the sounds of the island coming to life. Rearing up to greet the rising of the sun that was turning the whole sky pink and orange and red outside my windows. From the bed, I watched the morning shift into focus. Like a great watercolor streaking before my eyes to a grand symphony. (And then I realized that I was being selfish, so I nudged The Boyfriend awake so that he could bask in the glory of what is referred to as morning on the island. All I got for my troubles was a “shergggrrrmmpphhh- ohhh” before he rolled over and went back to sleep.)

After that we did the Hawaiian rush. (I have decided that this is the performing of tasks back to back, with no great hurry until all the things that need be done are completed.) Breakfast, showers, brushing of teeth (The Boyfriend forgot his, I offered to let him use mine- which he did, he offered to get me a new one- which I accepted.), getting dressed, making and packing lunch and snacks, and so on.

At 9:30 we were in the jeep and bopping down the bumpy dirt road. (I was driving with a wicked look of glee plastered on my face. The Boyfriend was hanging on for dear life and muttering something about letting me drive.)

I pointed the car towards Hilo and started out for the long journey to the opposite end of the island. (It was the starting point for the Adventure that I had planned out for The Boyfriend.) We stopped in Hilo for gas, a trip to Walmart for toothbrushes, and plate lunch. (Which was very good. We were offered four veggies, three scoop rice and a beef dish that was wonderful. We shared, it was huge, and we eat often.) Back on the road, The Boyfriend and I decided that I really am the one to be driving here. I drive like everyone else here. In no particular hurry, with no road rage, happy to pull off to the side to let others pass if they like, ambling along, and prone to stop in random places without warning or indication.

We drove past waterfalls in Waimea. We found the lighthouse. And searched without success for the Heiu. We saw Maui looming off in the distance. We saw the original statue of King Kamehameha. We walked along Banyon Drive and took photos of the gigantic trees. We found the tree house from the guidebook (Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed. The BEST guide book I have ever read for any location, ever.) We ate sandwiches watching the sunset. (It was beautiful.) We drove through a part of the Kohala Lava Desert. We made coral graffiti. (A giant heart with S+ A, it was The Boyfriend's idea. I love The Boyfriend.) We saw the signs for the Kona Nightingales. And then it was dark. Really dark. We stopped at the Walmart in Kona (For the water we had forgotten to get, again. A few souvenirs fell into the cart as well.) And I continued to drive.

I drove, and drove, and drove. (I let The Boyfriend drive for a short bit when we were looking for the lighthouse and the Heiau.) Down around Kona, Around South Point, and back to the house, I drove. In one day, we had driven around the whole of the island. (No small feat, I assure you. I have driven from one end of California to the other in less time.)

And, in what has become our Hawaiian Vacation tradition, I made dinner, we showered, and collapsed into bed, exhausted and blissfully happy.

1 comment:

anderesi said...

nice paintings on your blog...
matthias www.volcanostunts.blogspot.com