Disclaimer

This blog is an on-going work in progress, just like its creator. The names have been changed to protect the innocent, and the not-so-innocent. The events portrayed are as true and accurate as my perspective and memory allows, and are subject to change without further notice in the future. You will not find any Pay Per Post on my blog... No advertising. No peddling of anything other than my personal thoughts, opinions, and experiences... If you are reading my words it is because you are choosing to share a birds-eye view into my playground, not because I am pounding down your door asking to come in out the elements uninvited. With all of that out of the way, I really am glad you are here…

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Cooking With Love Starring Momma Mizrahi



Dear Friends;

This is so cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbeKSiAoJQ

My Aunt Jody made this video for my cousin Julia while she is Israel. My cousin is 18 and spending the year abroad. She called up my Aunt and asked her how to make dinner for her friends. The video was my Aunt’s clever idea. With the help of my Uncle Haim acting as the cameraman, and my cousin Joe as the editor, she created the first in a growing series of Momma Mizrahi Recipes.

My Sister-in-Love, Robin is working on a Cookbook. She wants to go the distance and pursue its publication. She has been testing her creations for some time now and is doing her part to establish a written version for some of the family’s long time favorites…

This is no simple task. Coming from an “Old World” as we do, the methods of cooking and passing dishes down through the generations has been sketchy at best. My nomadic lifestyle and wanderlust is something that goes back so many generations it is virtually inescapable.

My Aunt Tony was taught to make the most incredible, out of this world dish, taught to her by her Mother. My Nona was taught by her Mother, but as time went on, it morphed into something else. (As recipes often do.) My cousin, Judy and I beg for this dish all the time. We love how it tastes, but really, it more that we have the desire to learn how to make it. My Aunt actually made it for us once. I wrote like a mad woman, furiously scribbling notations onto paper as she sped along at break-neck speed.

And then comes my Aunt Jody. An incredible American invasion that has added so much to the family dynamics and traditions. Her logical and loving solution to my cousin, Julia’s request of how to prepare a chicken dinner has started a domino effect with the other members of my family. Each one wants to add their own version of “how to” to the growing collection.

So I am sharing with all of you, my Dear Friends, the video that started it all. The wonderful “Cooking With Love Starring Momma Mizrahi”.

On a sentimental side note; My Nona was called Momma by almost everyone. Her heart and warmth are qualities that my Aunt Jody possesses. The family connection and love goes generations back from one Momma to another… And now to you. Enjoy…

No comments: